Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." Alma 29:9

Monday, April 25, 2016

19 Months Down!


Dear Family & Friends,

How are you? I miss each of you so much! Happy Preparation Day! I love
Preparation Day, because I get to email all of the people I love.
Guess what. Yesterday marked 19 whole months since I left on my
mission. It's been FOREVER since I've seen y'all! But time has flied
and continues to move fast. Especially in Gilmer! I love serving here
in Gilmer so much. The work is just exploding! We are so blessed! We
taught 46 lessons this last week. I've never taught so much in a week
in my whole mission! We also now have 23 people who have baptism
dates. Holy moly! God has prepared so many people here it's
incredible! I am just so grateful for the chance I've had to serve in
Gilmer. What an amazing place to serve.

This week was incredibly busy! It felt like we were running non-stop.
It was great! Monday was interesting. It was toward the end of our
Preparation Day, and the sisters wanted to go get some dinner. So we
all went to this restaurant called "La Carreta." It has some really
good Mexican food. Well, while we were eating we started hearing
sirens. At first we thought it was just police or an ambulance. But
then people in the restaurant started standing up and looking out the
windows. Some people started to look scared and the TV in the
restaurant changed to announce a severe weather alert and that a
Tornado was coming through Gilmer. It started raining like crazy. I
was beginning to get a little nervous, but at this point I was still
pretty calm. I looked up at the sky and it had a greenish color to it.
All of the sudden a HUGE gust of wind went past the restaurant
slamming the doors closed. Rain and hail were coming into the
restaurant and I started getting REALLY nervous. Sister Howell was
shaking so bad. Sister Van Den Berghe was keeping her calm while Elder
Holst and I were figuring out what we should do. Everyone in the
restaurant moved to a part where there was no windows. A guy came up
to us and told the sisters to get under the table. We stayed in there
until the weather calmed down a little bit, and we all ran out to our
cars to get to the church, because we would be safer there. I could
hardly see anything because rain was pouring down so hard! We were all
soaked by the time we got to the church, but we made it safely and I'm
grateful that God kept us safe through that experience. I definitely
will never forget that.

This week we went to meet with Meagan, and she told us that her son
Zachary wants to be baptized! We were so excited to hear that! He saw
his mom get baptized and really felt the spirit. He talked to us about
his desire to be baptized and we told him we can make it happen! We
are teaching him now, and he should be getting baptized either this
weekend, or next. Friday was fun, because we got to do some exchanges!
Elder Holst is the only Spanish missionary in the whole Stake. So he
covers any Spanish work from here in Gilmer all the way up to DeQueen
Arkansas. Well, there is some Spanish work happening in Mt Pleasant,
so we set up some exchanges to happen. Elder Bair came here to Gilmer
with me! Elder Bair's last companion was one of my old companions!
Elder Casper! It was a lot of fun serving with Elder Bair. We were
able to teach Monda, who is typically very shy and has a hard time
talking to new people. We also met a cat named "Weedles." Haha! The
reason I bring that up is because we have a recent convert in our Ward
named Wendy. Her car recently had a baby, and Wendy wanted to name the
kitten something special. So, she combined Westover and Needles
together! Weedles! Lol! I don't like cats, but I'm honored to now have
a cat named after me. Elder Westover should be happy to hear that too.

That night, we were able to go to the church to have Ariell's baptism
interview. She was pretty nervous, but did a great job! She is now
ready to be baptized! All we have to do is wait until this weekend!
It's scheduled for this Saturday at 4:00 PM. We got a call last night,
though, that there would be a Mission wide meeting on Saturday at 3:00
PM. It made us pretty sad, because that's right on top of the baptism.
We are going to try to change it if we can, because we really want to
be there with Ariell as she gets baptized. Pray for us that we get
that situation figured out! Later, we exchanged with some OTHER
Elders, so I got another new companion for the next day while Elder
Holst was teaching Spanish up in Mt Pleasant. The other missionary I
got was Elder Jeffrey. We had a good day together, teaching a lot of
people! I was happy to have Elder Holst back that night. The next day
we had church! We sadly didn't have a lot of investigators attend, but
we aren't letting it get us down. That night we taught two new people
and they accepted the invitation to baptism! Their names are Kristin &
Clifford! We're excited to teach them!

I'm just so happy to be serving here. I can't explain how grateful I
am for it. God is so good to me and I just can't express my gratitude
enough. I am so grateful for each of you as well. You make my life
meaningful. You make my life great! I love you all so much! I know
Jesus lives! I know He's real and loves us.

D&C 88:63
63 Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently
and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall
be opened unto you.

He's there. Just draw near to Him!

Well, in three short weeks it will be Mother's Day. Which means I will
have my very last Skype home on my mission. Then in 5 short months I'm
Utah and Idaho bound! I can't tell you all how much I miss those
places. I can't wait to see all of you again! Even all my friends here
in Texas that I email. I can't wait to see every single one of you
again! You all mean so much to me.

19 Months Down! 5 To Go!

Have an incredible week!

Elder Joshua Needles








No comments:

Post a Comment