Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." Alma 29:9

Monday, January 25, 2016

Uncle Josh!


Dear Family & Friends,


Wow, this week was one for the books! So much happened I don't even
know where to begin! Well, on Monday night, we found out that Elder
Parry had to go home for a time! :( I was so sad! He was pretty sad as
well, but he definitely will be back out in his mission as soon as he
can. It was an abrupt ending, but I am so grateful to have been
companions with him! I learned so much from the transfer and a half I
served with him. He's truly inspiring! We had to drive into Dallas on
Wednesday. I still had no idea what was going to happen to me. You can
definitely say I was VERY anxious to hear the news! I waited at the
mission office with the mission vehicle coordinator (Elder Gilbert)
while President Taylor took Elder Parry to the airport. Eventually,
the assistants came and picked me up. I hadn't eaten in a long time so
I asked if we could go to Panda Express because we don't have one in
our area! I LOVE PANDA EXPRESS! Haha. They told me I'd be staying the
night in Dallas and asked where I wanted to serve... I asked them if I
could serve in the Dallas 4th Ward (which was my last area) and they
let me! I was so excited! I was with Elder Vang and Elder Fonua (who
is from Tonga and is AWESOME). Then we also had another missionary
(Elder Kenworthy) with us because his companion had recently gone home
as well. I was so happy! I saw so many great people that I love! We
went on splits with the members and I asked if we could go see Quay
Mercer! It was so good to see her and her family again! I also got to
see Bishop Monroe, The Spitzenbergers (WHOM I LOVE), Brother Erickson,
Brother Wood, and so many others! The only thing that would have made
it better is if Josh Parker was there! He was one of my favorite
members in the Dallas 4 Ward, but he moved to Utah. It was such a
bittersweet day, but I'm grateful for the blessings the Lord sent my
way. That night President Taylor called and informed me that my new
companion would be Elder Kenworthy and we would stay in my area
(Palestine & Athens). So my new companion is Elder Kenworthy from
Missoula Montana! I feel bad that he had to get emergency transferred
out of his area, but I'm glad to know the Lord had a hand in
everything that happened. There are no English missionaries in Elder
Kenworthy's last area now, because his companion went home, so we had
to help transition his investigators over to the Spanish missionaries.
We finally got to go back to Palestine the next day!



We drove up to Athens on Friday. I'm happy to be in Athens! We went to
lunch and got all settled in when I realized... I left all my ties AND
my two suits in Palestine! I could not believe myself! Elder Kenworthy
offered for me to wear his ties throughout the week, but then later
realized... He left his suits in Palestine as well! So we asked Tim
Brewer if the next morning he would drive us to Palestine and back to
get all those stuff, which (thankfully) he said he would. The next
morning we drove up to Palestine, but I wasn't paying attention to
where Brother Brewer was driving and he drove 20 minutes THE WRONG
WAY! So we had to drive 20 minutes BACK to Athens then drive another
hour into Palestine! Holy moly! Haha. We, finally, got my ties and our
suits and got back into Athens. That day, we had so much success! We
contacted a lot of referrals and got two new investigators! We also
visited the Lang Family. They have a daughter named Hanna who has not
yet been baptized. We went and invited her to be baptized! She said
she would! So her baptism date is April 2nd! We're so excited for her!



On Friday this week, I found out that I BECAME AN UNCLE!!! :) I'm so
happy for my older sister and Brother in law! Their baby's name is
Keaton Garrett Kundis! He was born on January 22nd, 2016. And he's my
nephew! I love him so much even though I've never even met him! I pray
every night for him, though. He's very blessed to have two wonderful
parents, aunts and uncles who love him, and incredible grandparents! I
can't wait to meet him in September! That will be the best day ever!
I'm so glad everything went well and that we have a new addition to
our family.



Mike (in Palestine) is very excited about his baptism on the 13th of
February! It's coming so fast! We are a little behind schedule on
teaching the lessons with him, but we're going to do our best to get
him baptized on the 13th! He really wants to be baptized and is
excited for it... We are too! :) Dave and Ruby are still doing really
well. I'm so glad they are. They don't miss a day of church! Haha.



This week I was thinking about all of the amazing people in my life.
I'm so incredibly blessed. I can't even describe the immense love I
feel for my Father in Heaven for surrounding me with the most amazing
people in the world (HINT: THAT'S ALL OF YOU). I always think of the
times Brianna and I would eat Taco Bell at midnight (which now if I
did that I'd gain ten pounds what is metabolism). Or when Sam and
Garrett would go to Applebee's with us and get the half price
appetizers. Or when I would go on walks after work with Kara. Or every
crazy stupid thing Bryan and I did. Or singing Wicked with Megan in
our kitchen at the top of our lungs. Or playing Call of Duty with
Scott. AND MY MOM AND DAD I JUST LOVE THEM MORE THAN ANYTHING. I'm
serious. I have the best parents. And oh, my cousins. I love every
single one of my cousins. And my aunts and uncles and grandparents and
everyone I've met on my mission and all my high school friends and...
Sorry, I just love you all way too much. Just feeling blessed.



I hope you all have the best week. I hope you all look to Christ in
every thought. I testify that that is where you will find true joy. He
will give you rest. I promise! He's done it for me time and time
again. I love each of you dearly.



Your Stressed but Blessed Missionary,
Elder Joshua Needles
A.K.A Uncle Josh



3 comments:

  1. Oh, Joshy. You are going to love that baby! Got to hold him Saturday...he is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Joshy. You are going to love that baby! Got to hold him Saturday...he is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Josh and miss you. Thank you for sharing your testimony. It was much needed. I'm so excited for you to get home. I already know you're going to the best Uncle. You've shown your greatness with each of boys. I love you buddy!

    ReplyDelete