Alma 29:9

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." Alma 29:9

Monday, October 6, 2014

First Week in Texas!

It feels like FOREVER since I've been able to talk to everyone. First, I miss everyone so much. I've never been this homesick in my life. But that hasn't changed the fact that I'm starting to really enjoy my mission. My new companion's name is Elder Ezzell. He's from Utah and he's really awesome. He plays guitar and can do lots of cool card tricks like me haha. We live on Memory Lane in Whitehouse Texas. My are for my mission is bigger than some people's whole missions. Hence the car that we have. They also told me that I'm one of two that have been trained in East Texas in the past year. I guess that's a compliment. Elder Ezzell says he might be getting transferred soon which would mean I would be taking over the area... That scares me to death, but I'm really excited. I have met some amazing people and had some weird experiences. My VERY FIRST lesson was insane. The lady argued and argued and argued with us. She would be yelling at us one moment then telling us how awesome we are the next. She is definitely bipolar. Then her boyfriend (who I thought might be a little more normal than her) proceeded to tell us how Jesus was a ninja and that he went on a boat to China to become the master of the ninjas. HE WAS BEING SERIOUS. I don't like to make fun of other peoples beliefs but it was hard not to laugh at that one. So my first experience was definitely unforgettable. I've met some really nice people. The Robison Family are definitely my favorite. She cooks us food, gives us a blanket and a couch to lay on, turns on the heater and general conference, and watches with us. I accidentally fell asleep. Oops. But their family is so incredibly nice and it helps with the homesickness when I'm with them. We just set a date to baptize one of our investigators. After his first lesson, he wanted to be baptized. It's really exciting. There are also some scary neighborhoods here. I was scared that we might get shot at one point because of the people, their house, and the way we were treated. It was scary. There have been two HUGE storms. And I mean HUGE. My companion and I ran out during one of them in our shorts, but then heard the BIGGEST and LOUDEST crack of thunder I've ever heard in my life. It scared the crap out of me so we ran back to the apartment as fast as we could. Tomorrow, we get to go see Meet the Mormons. I'm really excited because I get to see my old district again. We all had to say goodbye and it was really sad. Guess where the first place I ate when I got here was? That's right --- TACO BELL. Here are all of the places we've eaten:
1. TACO BELL
2. Some Mexican place I can't name
3. Stanley's (SO GOOD) (BBQ)
4. Another Mexican place I can't name
5. Buffalo Wild Wings
6. Texas Roadhouse
7. Subway
8. and yes Dollar General, because everything else was closed for some water problem IDK who cares.
All in all, I miss everyone more than I can say, but I'm enjoying the experiences I'm having here in Texas. I can't wait to hear from everyone again!

1 comment:

  1. Josh, im glad to have met you and elder Ezzel. U are both wonderful people and a breath of fresh air. Don't give up because u get arguments and doors slammed. If u reach out to just one family...like ours, that is what it is all about. Stick in there

    ReplyDelete